Thursday, October 18, 2007

Wonder Twin powers, activate!

When Gator and I engaged, we found rings we loved in a catalog, but we couldn't afford them. We were poor college students, and the "three months salary" rule would have allotted about as much money for a ring as a thorough searching of the couch cushions. Gator's parents lived in Chicago at the time, and they knew of a Russian jeweler who could make any ring from a picture at a reasonable price. So they asked us for the page from the catalog. Right before our wedding they presented us with our wedding gift -- gold rings exactly like we wanted. Here's mine:


Gator's ring got too small (love how we blame the ring!!) so he didn't wear it and then eventually got lost. He bought a random clearance ring once, but it never fit right and was too delicate for his hand and was, though he disagrees with this point, freakin' ugly.

So years have gone by and Gator hasn't worn a wedding ring. It's no big deal -- I'm not one of those who freaks out over it and assumes he's out there outrageously cheating on me because he doesn't have a piece of metal wrapped around his finger. It's fine. Whatever.

But I do really miss having matching wedding bands. It just seems so right.

One day a couple of weeks ago I was happily partaking of my daily phone call to Gator. I was surprised when he announced, "Oh, my ring came today!"

"Ring? What ring?"

"Oh, I ordered a new wedding ring."

"Another wedding ring?"

"Yeah, it's really cool. It's titanium!"

"Really? What does it look like?"

"You can see it, I got it off Amazon. Just search 'titanium ring'..."


Anyone who followed the above link now realizes: The ring is $21.95. $22!!! Plus shipping. Whatever.

Do you know what this meant to me?? It meant that, considering that the smallest size available is the size of my left ring finger, we could once again have matching wedding bands! So I suggested the idea.

"But what about your claddagh ring?"

"Well, I'm not going to throw it away or anything. It will have a place of honor in my jewelry box, and I'm sure I'll wear it sometimes."

Somewhere along the line he started to believe that I really wanted matching rings and that I really liked the ring he'd picked out. And for $22, they can get lost or get all banged up or get too small, and we'll just get another one.

So he ordered me a matching wedding band and it came about four days later.


I've worn it ever since. I love it.

We're Wonder Twins again. My hubby rocks. :)

_____

7 comments:

Becky G said...

That is so cool! I love the new ring.

YarnThrower said...

Your story is so great -- it totally made me smile!

DawnK said...

What a sweet story! Our rings don't really match, but we did put a small diamond into his, just 3 points, so it's tiny, but it gives his ring just a tiny bit of sparkle, so I'm glad we did it. So, in that we both have a diamond, they match! LOL!

Anonymous said...

How refreshing! I always thought that people suggesting the "three months salary" rule had a lot of chutzpah. I personally think diamonds are overrated, and sometimes downright ugly. Back when I was engaged, we were more interested in the ring design than the diamond. I guess we both agreed that what was more important was a ring that rocks rather than...a rock.

Dorothy said...

That's awesome!

My wedding ring doesn't really go well with my engagement ring, but we wanted matching bands so that's what we have and the heck with having a set for me and another for him.

Melissa said...

Hey, crawled out of my tunnel of sleeping/working just long enough to get caught up on your blog. (I hadn't read since the "things are going to be different" entry) I so love the fact that the Wonder Twin Powers have be Re-activated!!! Life is good in so many ways. Totally envious of the great gifts you're making for sister Annette, she'll love them too! Be good!

jmk said...

Hi Sus!
I know I'm a late to comment but it's so gosh-darn sweet I had to "pop in" and say so!
I'm just too busy these days to do much (read: any) blogging or check out anyone else's, and I see by the sparcity of your posts that you're busy too. :-)