Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Unfinished business... of AWESOMENESS!

Today we're having a blizzard. Classes were canceled, there were whiteout conditions -- it was a great day to stay inside and, well, it would have been a great day to knit, or (ahem) take down my Christmas decorations (do NOT comment!) or some other nice, indoor, productive thing. So, instead, I futzed around and didn't do anything in particular, really. I did take a pretty impressive nap, though.

But that's not what this post is about, nosireebob! It's about awesomeness, and blizzards are not awesome. Well, they can be pretty great, but not awesome. No, this post is about two things. The first is: Gator got his gift in the mail today! And he loves it! And now I get to show it to you! Happiness all around!


It's a simple rag quilt made with some coordinating flannel I purchased a couple of years ago but had never used. It's not quite bedspread size, but I would totally use it for one. I slept under it (nekkid, even!) the night before I sent it to Gator (you know, for a little extra love in the package. Hee!) and I was not too hot, not too cold. Just right.


The backing is a light grey that makes a subtle border between the squares. The backing is also a courser weave and it frays really well. It gives the quilt a great look, but I washed it four times and the lint trap was as full as full could be all four times. It could probably stand to be washed four more times. It eventually will be. It's all good.

Most instructions online advise cutting the seam allowances every 1/4 inch to encourage fraying. I've made one before following that advice and didn't like the results. So this time I cut ~ every 1/8 to 1/16 inch. Basically, I made the cuts as close together as practically possible. I like the effect much better. Thus, like I said, the full lint trap. But I still dig it.


Purple is Gator's favorite color, so its inclusion is key. And what geek god doesn't love knights and castles and wizards? He asserts that this is a most awesome prize. I hope he sleeps under it and dreams of me. Not riding a unicorn. Don't ask.

My second piece of awesome business is that two people, Laura and Molly Bee, awarded me with the You Make My Day Award! How cool is that? I've never been awarded before! So fun! You guys make my day, too!


Give the award to 10 people whose blogs bring you happiness and inspiration and make you feel happy about blogland. Let them know by posting a comment on their blog so they can pass it on. Beware you may get the award several times.

I pass the award on to Missa, Becky, Sue, Dorothy, Judy, Dawn, Julie, Laura, Steve, and Tricia. You all make my day, every time you post. Pass it on!

I also updated my links over on the right, there. That's a continuing project, but that's what I've added for now. Maybe you can find some new friends in there, too! Wouldn't that be AWESOME?

_____

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

*blush!* Aw, gee, thanks for the kind words and the link. You definitely made MY day. I'll definitely pass on the love...

jmk said...

Oh, thank you soooo much for the honour! Skweeeeeeee!!
Love the quilt, great fluffy bits. I made a baby-sized one once, wish I'd cut my seam allowances more. Umm, but about those snowflakes... ;-)

YarnThrower said...

Whoa -- that is an awesome quilt!!! So great!! Nice tips for encouraging the raveling... And flannel! I loves me some flannel! Storing that one in the back of my head for some way future project...

Glad to make your day. Awww - such nice comments in your sidebar! Honored to be included in such a nice group of people!

Have a great Thursday. School is back in session for us! (Yay!)

Anonymous said...

Aw shucks! Thanks so much! I'm right honored. Can I just say how much I admire you and Gator for enduring separation in order to complete your education for the betterment of your futures?! Now THAT is inspirational! Oh you young people! Thanks again. :o)

Molly Bee said...

OMGosh! What a great quilt. I have a cedar chest full of flannels that I bought 7 years ago in anticipation of making one of these but haven't gotten to it yet. You've inspired me to bump it up on my list!

Anonymous said...

What a great way to start a blecky, snowy day. Thanks Sugar!

Becky G said...

Awww, thanks for the award.

The quilt is very--uh, I was going to say lovely, but is that appropriate for a man's quilt? Maybe I should say it is very studly.

Dorothy said...

That quilt is, like, totally awesome! Dude.

I bet it was linty though. The best ones always are at first. It's fantastic. I'm not a quilt girl, but that is drawing me in to the dark side.

Thanks for the award! Glad to oblige schweetheart. I'll have to give this a bit of thought since there really are so many who make my day.

Anonymous said...

Ah, thank you Sus! You're so sweet to think of me! :o)

I think that quilt is really very pretty. I mean, masculine and all that. ;o) Love the castles and wizards, too cute!

Send some blizzards my way, would love to see some snow.

DawnK said...

Thanks for the cute little button. I just realized I still need to put it up, on my blog! I love your husband's quilt, and love how you picked out the fabric for it!

On February 6th, Sheboygan got 16.5 inches of snow! As of Feb 18th, we'd gotten 76 inches of snow, for the whole winter and had measurable precipitation on 11 of those 1st 18 days! School was cancelled twice, church has been cancelled twice and the clinic where I work has closed early about 3 times!

Today, we are supposed to get 2 inches of snow! I just want spring to come. My driveway is getting icier and icier! Ugh.