Thursday, June 22, 2006

Who has time to crochet statements??

Don't mind me. I was just a' blogstalkin', then following links, as you do on this here world wide web, and boppin' around the blogosphere (yes, the blogosphere. It's a thing. I prefer blogosome, myself. I think I'll get an additional PhD in blogomics.) and came upon something that made me go "hmmm".

It's called Knitta, but all their tags say "Knitta, please!", which I knew would make Gator laugh out loud (and possibly start saying it nonstop. Hellanonstop. It's so emo and all). Yes, they knit cozies for random things. Like car antennae. And doorknobs. And the Great Wall of China. Seriously. They're adding works of art to the inner city, they say. I'm strangely intrigued and repulsed at the same time. I really like random, inexplicable things that are harmless and it would be cool to do it too -- kind of like a little knitting gnome. Or poltergeist. But I can't help but think, "I have so many WIPs as it is! How could someone do this when there are afgans to finish and sweaters to endlessly contemplate yet never actually start???" They're not even the only people doing such things. Another site gives a pattern for cozy-ing up your own tree.

But there's not just art for art's sake out there. Oh, no. There are serious statements to be made. RedSweaters.org is doing something deep. They are soliciting a tiny, hand crocheted or knitted red sweater for every American soldier killed in the war on terror, linking them together in a large garland-thingy, and hanging them in a tree. Kinda cool, yes. A bold statement on that particular corner, you bet. But is it really helping anything? No effing way. The energy would be better spent knitting or crocheting things and sending them to living soldiers in the war on terror. Or to any of over a dozen worthy causes. Initially I thought RedSweaters was cool. Now I think it's a waste of time. Knit for the living, knitta.

So, I'm not going to make any statements. I'm going to make baby afgans and potholders and stocking caps and such. But I think I may have to keep and eagle eye on my car antenna. Or maybe Gator should.

Bwahahahaha.

No comments: