Sunday, February 25, 2007

Predictions and progress

Earlier in the week, V and I went to the Times and saw all the short live action and animated films nominated for Academy Awards. Because I've never before had a clue about the nominees in the category before, I feel like doing something new. I'm predicting the winners. I'm not going to describe all the films; others have done that far better than I have. You're smart -- you can look them up if you want to.

Live Action Short Film Nominees:
Binta and the Great Idea
Eramos Pocos
Helmer & Son
The Saviour
West Bank Story

I liked all of them for their own reasons. I have a soft spot for The Saviour due to the fact that I have watched lots of movies made by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (they're free at CinemaNow). But I think The Saviour is a little too pat for the Academy members. My prediction is for Eramos Pocos, a story of a man, his son, and a grandmother where everyone gets what they need in the end.

Animated Short Film Nominees
The Danish Poet
Lifted
The Little Matchgirl
The Maestro
No Time for Nuts

I'm a huge fan of Hans Christian Anderson's fairy tales and, while The Little Matchgirl made me bawl like a baby as I knew it would, my prediction in this category is The Danish Poet. It is simply drawn and tells a simple story of coincidences and sadness and love. It was not overbearing or overly cute. I found it to be just right.

There are no other categories in which I have seen all the films nominated, so I'm stopping right there.

I finished the Columns of Leaves scarf last night and I blocked it this morning. I'm very excited that it's completed. I enjoyed the pattern, but I'm ready for a change of pace. I'll knit dishcloths while I watch the Oscars tonight, then I'm seriously getting back into WIP cleanup mode. Projects need to be getting done. Of course, I have a wedding coming up this summer that will need a special gift and I've already made an afghan and potholders for this dear friend. This will require some thought.

 

I love how blocking transformed this scarf.


This picture does weird things to the color (it's deeper and richer than it appears here), but it's the best I've got where you can see the pattern at all. Though not really that well, huh? Oh well.

_____

1 comment:

LadyLinoleum said...

The scarf is stunning!