Monday, March 12, 2007

Too blind for modern convenience

No flake. I suck.

On a completely unrelated note, and as I mentioned earlier, my glasses broke a week ago. They broke in spectacular, unmendable fashion. Which was okay, actually, as I needed a new prescription anyway and this was merely incentive to just go ahead and take care of that. Today I finally had my appointment with the eye doctor. I went to one of those "glasses done in an hour" places because a) I don't have a regular optometrist up here yet, b) I don't know any optometrists up here yet, and c) I wanted my new glasses right now, immediately, today, thankyouverymuch. Plus, I come from a small town where we never had these new-fangled, big-city fancy-pants things like "glasses while you wait". It's a massive novelty.

Only, apparently, not for the likes of me.

See, kids, I'm blind. Okay, not service dog blind, but definitely "What is that slightly darkish smudge? My hand, you say? And it's right in front of my face? Hmmm." without my glasses. And while spectacles for mere mortals can easily be ground out in an hour, correction for nearsightedness of my magnitude requires ten days.

At least they gave me a pair of trial contacts so I don't have to wear the floppy, old, worn out pair I luckily found in a drawer so I could make it till the appointment. I'm very excited to get my new glasses, too. They're pretty cute. Of course, they were pretty cute with the demo lenses in them. It's always so hard to envision new frames with roughly an inch of plastic hanging out the sides, but I digress. When I get them, I'll post a pic.

So, the big city's not so fancy pants after all.

_____

6 comments:

jmk said...

Your current state of near-blindness probably justifies not crocheting too many teeny-tiny snowflakes at the moment. Can't wait to see the new you!

PS Send me your email address, pls. ;-)

jmk said...

... mine is in my profile (hey! I just checked - it's gone! Must be something to do with the new version of Blogger) - scratch that, there's an Email Me button below my profile link.

Becky G said...

I can so relate! Without my glasses, I can't even see the big E at the top of the chart.

Anonymous said...

Small world and parallel lives all mixed together- I *also* visited the eye doc yesterday only to discover that, while I certainly *need* to get glasses, there's no legal way that my eye doc can actually *make* me get them, wear them or keep them. Which means I''ll continue to be a hazard to other drivers for another year.

Sus said...

But, Good God, Laura, why would you not want to see if you could??? They make contacts, you know, you vain little wench. ::grin::

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the smudge factor - except I had to laugh as I had an interview for life insurance this evening, and when they asked about my vision I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying "blind as a bat". I don't think that would have gone over very well! ;o)